Nobler in the Mind

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Intolerance Rears its Ugly Head

I despise prejudice. Why, not two weeks ago I was turned down for a modeling position with Calvin Klein for no other reason than the unsightly metal rod protruding from my cranium. But nothing can compare to the hateful and blatantly speciesist bumper-sticker I saw the other day while driving my cat to the vet, which read: “No ser humano es ilegal” (“It’s illegal not to be human”). Luckily, I was able to change lanes before my cat Leopold could see the sticker.

Is this what our society has come to? Have we extended our hatred and fear to other walks of life? What about all those hard-working Americans who have made this country what it is, and whose only crime is not being human: Kermit the Frog, Alf, Wile E. Coyote, Barbara Streisand. . . .? Is this how we show our gratitude?

Being the understanding fellow that I am, I’m inclined to give this confused driver the benefit of the doubt, and assume that what he meant to say was “Ningún ser humano es ilegal” (“No human being is illegal”). Perhaps he is not a hate-monger at all, just a well-meaning activist who slept through high-school Spanish.

I like bumper-stickers; bumper-stickers are great. Even if it’s a bumper-sticker I don’t agree with, if it’s clever, I chuckle. But please folks, please . . . know what your bumper-sticker says before you put it on your car. Otherwise, you make a fool of yourself and discredit whatever cause you are championing.

1 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Blogger J. Robert Dexterheimer said...

Are you making fun of people who, through no fault of their own, have had rods blown through their heads?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home